To offer great wines we must give ourselves the means. So take two great castles on the best-known terroir in the world : Bordeaux, add equally famous oenologists / winemakers : Michel Rolland and Georges Pauli, and let simmer for months in beautiful French oak barrels. Serve on all types of dishes… Here is the recipe of the wines of the castles Belcier and Ramage la Batisse.
Gironde et Gascogne is the association of two wineries : Château de Belcier and Château Ramage La Batisse, but also a trading activity which engineer and oenologist, Hélène Durand, takes care of. Owned by a major insurance company : La Macif, the company has made its castles leaders of their respective appellation. Zoom on these beautiful areas !
The Château de Belcier, in A.O.C Côtes de Castillon
- History : Built at the end of the 18th century, it was for a long time the property of an old Bordeaux family allied to Montaigne (the famous writer of the same name also had vineyards nearby). It was partly rebuilt by a counter-revolutionary, guillotined in 1794, François de Belcier.
- Terroir : Located on a terroir of traditions, in continuation of that of Saint-Emilion, the vineyard measures 52 hectares. Château Belcier is set on clay-limestone and loamy clay soil planted mainly with Merlot, a varietal favorite of the region but also Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon, and Malbec. Château Belcier is established as one of the best wines in Castillon AOC !
- Vinification: The castle is advised by Michel Rolland, one of the most famous oenologists in the world. The fermentation is about 12 days with a maceration at 28 ° from 10 to 12 days depending on the vintage, to allow the fruit to express itself fully. Aging in oak barrels brings roundness and delicate aromas of vanilla, while offering a good aging potential.
- Tasting : flattering, round, fruity, with good balance and lots of character. It will accompany cold meats as well as grilled red meats, or even a duck confit from the South West of France. The wines of Belcier are regularly medal and quoted in the best guides.
- Awards : 56 medals (Paris, Bordeaux, Bourg-Blaye, Bruxelles, Concours général européen, Vinalies nationales, Citadelles du vin, Vignerons Indépendants etc…), stars (2 at Guide Hachette, and 4-5 stars in la Revue du Vin de France), and many quotes (Wine Spectator, Wine Magazine, Decanter, Guide Bettane and Desseauve, etc.).
The Château Belcier also produces two second wines : Château de Monrecueil and the B of Belcier, and a great wine : Le Pin de Belcier.
The Château Ramage la Batisse
- History : Ramification of the parcels formerly scattered between several old properties (: Ramage, La Bâtisse and Tourteran), the estate is today in one piece. In the center of the property is an 18th century very nice Chartreuse.
- Terroir : sand and gravel constitute the soil of this domain of 85 hectares of vineyards located in the heart of the Médoc, near Pauillac and its famous Crus Classés (Château Latour, Lafite Rothschild and Mouton Rothschild). Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are equally important in the composition of the wine. In the 2003 official classification, the estate is promoted Cru Bourgeois Supérieur, proof of quality.
- Winemaking : Georges Pauli, world famous winemaker, follows the elaboration of the wines. As at Château Belcier, the wine ages in oak barrels to soften the tannins and bring finesse and suppleness to the wine.
- Tasting : very elegant tannins for a balanced and fine wine, which also offers a fleshy fruit and a supple texture. A perfect aging wine that goes well with red and white meats.
- Awards : again, the rewards are not lacking ! 41 medals (Paris, Bourg-Blaye, Brussels, Mâcon, Vinalies Internationales, Citadelles du vin), Favorite of Guide Hachette, 4-5 stars in la Revue des Vins de France, and quotes (Wine Spectator, Wine Magazine, Decanter, Notebooks tasting of Bettane and Desseauve, etc.)
The property produces two second wines : Clos de Ramage & R de Ramage.
Modernization and traditions
As always, it was necessary to bring to each vineyard improvements and renovate the cellars without breaking with the ancestral customs of Bordeaux viticulture. Thus, Macif has made significant investments, chooses the right partners and has adapted to the market in order to offer its properties and their wines high quality levels.
See also the castle Tourteran, very well recognized too.
More information on the website